Saturday, August 15, 2009

What A Dog

I’ve recently been having dreams about my 3-year-old dog, Angel, dying. They’re all sad, really, and I always wake up crying.

Why? Well, this is due to the fact that when he was born, one of his testicles never went all the way to the right position. We thought that it would eventually happen, as it had happened before to others, but as of 2009, it has not happened. The doctor warned us that if we do not get him operated, it could become a tumor—if benign, then no problem. If malicious, then—well, it’s malicious, and it might lead to cancer. With all the sacrifices we’ve been making this summer just to the climatic event of August 20, it seems as if everyone’s left poor little Angel at the bottom of the list. Obviously we haven’t forgotten, but I’m usually the one that keeps mentioning: “We must have him operated!”

I’m having lots of fun with him recently. We took him to PetsMart to to have his hair cut (well, more like shaved) a few weeks ago and I never really noticed how skinny he was! I was actually afraid we weren’t feeding him enough, but I was relieved to find out that he weighs a healthy 10.6 pounds—good for a male Maltese. When we went to get him vaccinated (which is more painful for me since I detest hearing him yelp), I was surprised at how Angel didn’t bark at anyone, and how he wasn’t afraid of other dogs (he’s usually just as anti-social as I am, heh). He was calm in the hands of the vet, and truly became an angel (a name which really isn’t very fitting for him). Today, when I accidentally dropped a blueberry on the ground, he quickly went to eat it. I was afraid at first, because there are a lot of things that dogs can’t eat, but when I heard that dogs enjoy eating blueberries and that they make good treats, I started to play around with him hiding blueberries and making him find them.

He found, like, 3 out of 10.

Then I started to walk in circles around him (which will get any dog angry; remember that in the wild, this is a technique used by packs in order to attack more successfully, or to simply intimidate). He started to bark and I started to jump and he answered my jumps with his own little bounces. At the end, he just lay on my bed, tired.

Summer’s coming to a close, and classes start in about 2 weeks and 3 days. I’ve continued to read my books but still have a long way to go on the summer homework. Angel’s health is usually a priority.

How I hate the redness of August.